Phonics Screening Check
Information for parents –Year 1 Screening Check June 2016
The phonic screening check is a statutory assessment for all children in Year 1
- It will take place in June.
- It comprises of a list of 40 words ( 20 real and 20 nonsense)
- In previous years expectations from the government are that children should achieve 32 out of 40 to reach the expected level.
- The check will take up to 10 minutes per pupil
- Children who do not achieve the expected level at the end of Y1 must be reconsidered for a retake in Y2
- Support has been put in place to assist all our pupils to achieve their best outcomes.
- The school will report the result of your child’s score out of 40 along with the % who have reached the expected level by the end of the summer term.
- A sample of the types of words your child will have to read:
Read Write Inc
At Grangetown Primary we follow the Read, Write, Inc. Scheme which has been developed by Ruth Miskin Read Write Inc. We have seen a huge impact in our KS1 reading scores and Phonics scores over the last 2 years.
Read, Write, Inc. (RWI) is taught from EYFS to Y2 in small teaching groups. Interventions are also taking place across KS2 when needed. We have a dedicated RWI 45min session each morning.